Tuesday, July 14, 2009

And this is the part where I scare you all away.

Ok, time for a brief clarification. Commenter nonentity claims that he knows a few people who could give my love for Harry Potter a run for its money. When I read this comment I realized that I haven't shown you guys enough of the real me. Reading/watching everything I put on the internet doesn't mean you know me (not that I don't appreciate the people who do such things).

I guarantee you that my love for the Harry Potter books is greater than or equal to anyone else's in the world. See, I'm not even claiming to be "THE BIGGEST HARRY POTTER FAN EVER." I'm just saying that I'm tied for first place with possibly millions of other people.

The movies are whatever. I don't claim that crown.

In my school, a small liberal arts college where practically everyone is nerdy enough to love Harry Potter, I'm STILL known as the Harry Potter girl. When I show up at a costume party not dressed as a Harry Potter character, people are openly shocked. People approach me or text me with random questions about the books all the time. Just yesterday I received a text that said, "Random- parvati's twin is...?" I didn't even know who sent the text. The number was unknown. I just texted back, "padma." You should've seen the hilarity that went down when my school's newspaper printed a Harry Potter crossword puzzle. I was glued to my phone that day. Several times a day I have to stop myself from making an obscure Harry Potter reference about what someone just said, because (a.) I have to draw the line somewhere, and (b.) no one would get such an obscure reference anyway. I have actually spoken aloud the sentence, "I think Harry Potter is better than sex."

Yes, there are people who are more involved in the fandom than I am. No, I've never traveled thousands of miles to a conference or movie premiere. I'm not one to get starstruck. I would never scream my head off or cry at the sight of Daniel Radcliffe. I even had to look up the correct spelling of "Radcliffe." None of these things truly define what it means to love Harry Potter. It's about the heart, loving it with every fiber of your being, defending it to the death, truly believing its messages of love and sacrifice, and, mostly importantly, not abandoning it for Twilight. :-P

Oh, goodness. Look at me getting all hot and bothered over such sillyness. Now do you believe me? I hope I haven't frightened anyone. For the record, I'm not in any way angry, upset, or offended. I just wanted to make sure you guys know what I'm all about. I have an absolutely bottomless sense of humor, so it's pretty hard to offend me.

This time tomorrow I will have seen the new film. I wish I were more excited. Warner Brothers has made me so jaded. We've had to wait a lot longer than we expected, so this thing better be freakin' fantastic.

On an unrelated note, commenter Kristen asked when was I blonde, so here's a brief history of my hair. I was born with dark brown hair. Then it fell out, as baby fuzz often will. It grew back light blonde, and it stayed that way. Then I decided about 2 years ago that I was bored of the blonde, so I started dyeing it, much to my mother's chagrin. And that's it. I've almost always been blonde, and I'm still blonde underneath the red.

I suspect you'll see my thought on Half-Blood Prince fairly soon. Cheerio.

Heroes-watching status: Season 3, Episode 24 (just one more to go!!!)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm . . . okay, I'm gonna have to show this blog to a couple of people and see if they can match you, because you basically just described my sister and one of my sister's best friends. (Notice, I didn't say me. I'm completely willing to admit that you're a bigger fan than I am.)

    I'm going to see the movie tonight too! And I'm . . . yeah, I'm a little concerned. I'm hoping that now that the entire series has been publish, Kloves and various producers know how NOT to screw it up, but . . . we'll see.

    And on a slightly creepy note . . . that exact same thing happened to my hair. Like, same colors and everything. (Except I didn't start dyeing it two years ago.) =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't doubt that they could match me. See paragraph 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, this is why i texted you when i realized i couldn't marry someone who hasn't read harry potter. I knew you would understand! =) And now everybody else does. haha.

    ReplyDelete