Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Secret Internal Ugly American Conflict

So I'm going to register for another website or buy something online, right? I get to the part where I have to select my country of residence from a drop-down list. I click to open the list and...oh good! United States is at the very top of the list! That's delightfully convenient.

Wait...what?! Did I seriously just think that???

I try so hard not to act or think like an "American," despite family influence, but sometimes even I slip up a little.

It's the Classic Internal Struggle: If the US is at the top of the list, I'm torn between delight at the convenience and annoyance at the web site's ignorant attitude of American superiority. However, if the US in its proper alphabetical place on the list between United Kingdom and United States Minor Outlying Islands, my conflict is between delight at the web site's egalitarian attitude toward all countries and minor chagrin at having to scroll all the way to the U's.

Normally my Ugly American thoughts will pass after a few seconds, and at this point I am filled with GUILT and SHAME and GENERAL UNWORTHINESS. OH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!

Do any of you ever experience this thought process, or do I just think too much?
(If your comment has even the slightest trace of shameless Ugly Americanism, I will never respect you. It's all about the shame, people.)

In other news:
-I started working at Blockbuster again. I'm working tomorrow 12:30-6.
-I'm feeling slightly nauseous right now. I kind of want some ice cream, but I doubt it would help the nausea.
-Robot Chicken is SO hit-or-miss.

Currently reading: The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson.
Subscribers: 1,015

5 comments:

  1. Maybe I don't think enough about that. Usually if I see the U.S. at the top I just think that site has more of an American customer base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That may be, but it still sends a "you're not as important" message to all of the other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same feelings exactly. It is our curse for being both American and addicted to the internet

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, but I don't think I've ever noticed that before. Maybe its just because I rarely register myself on a website or because the United States always appears to be pre-selected. Now I'll be on the look-out from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the fact that I am now well aware of it, I still find myself scrolling down, wondering where the United States option is. Then, suddenly, it hits me, it was at the top of the list all this time. Yeah, my brain refuses to read the list in anything but alphabetical order.

    ReplyDelete