Sunday, May 3, 2009

You call that Long-Distance? Rofl.

I've mentioned before that I have an old LiveJournal, but I may not have mentioned that I have an OLD old Livejournal. Its reign was after the DeadJournal but before the old LiveJournal. It chronicled approximately my senior year of high school and the following summer until I left for college, after which I got a new LiveJournal, which has been referenced thus far as the "old LiveJournal."

Still with me? Alright.

Well, I was reading through parts of the OLD old LiveJournal the other day, and I came across an AIM conversation with my high school boyfriend (who had just recently become my ex at this point). I won't let you see it because, frankly, it's embarrassing for me. I forgot what a needy, naive, spineless little jellyfish I used to be. I'm so glad I eventually grew some sense, learned to stand up for myself, and became the BAMF you all know and love. :-P

Back to the point. In this AIM conversation we were discussing why we could no longer date once I went away to college. He said, and I quote, "nobody is worth trying a 4 hour long distance relationship."

Really? Really? Four hours and you're out? Hahaha. Granted, at the time (which was four years ago - before we all had Skype!) it seemed like a valid point, but YouTube has really changed my perspective on this sort of thing. Alex and Kristina can handle the distance from London to Seattle. Liam and Min keep it going from the UK all the way to Australia. When you look at it that way, four hours seems like nothing at all.

Now, I'm really not trying to be hard on the guy or dig up old issues. Honestly, I'm glad I wasn't worth the four-hour distance. We are absolutely better off for it, so there's no need to defend my honor in the comments. :-P But when I read the "four hours" statement a few days ago, I literally laughed out loud. YouTubers, imagine trying to use a four-hour distance now as an excuse to break up. They'd think you were joking. Am I right? Maybe I've just gotten sucked into the Mrs. Nerimon phenomenon, but I think (in most cases) I'm right.

In other news, I am soooooooooo not ready for my voice jury tomorrow at 4:10. I'm off to study my Italian lyrics some more. Cheerio.

Subscribers: 1,001. Holdin' steady.

2 comments:

  1. 4 hours... really?

    That's really not much distance at all.

    Honestly, I think the breakup was for the better.

    If he couldn't handle a 4 hour long distance relationship, I take it as "man" code for...

    "I'm a guy going off to college soon and I'm really looking forward to all of the parties and countless opportunities to 'score' with girls, who if sober wouldn't give me the time of day, but they will be drunk, so I might have a shot, and I don't want this relationship to get in the way."

    Point being, the guy was probably afraid of commitment and if he really was thinking of the above, then the loser didn't deserve you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I appreciate the insight, but that actually wasn't the reason at all. Considering you're reading the quote out of context, though, I can see why you'd think that. Ultimately, the reason for the breakup is irrelevant to my point.

    Try to think about the world four years ago (before we were all on Skype!) I was just commenting on how funny it is that four hours was a big deal back then.

    ReplyDelete