Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I am green and you are blue.

So I had my first-ever SGA (student government) meeting tonight. Yes, I have a say in how our students' money is spent. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

As is typical with any sort of first meeting, we had to play one of those insipid ice-breaker games (notice how any time I mention ice-breaker games in this blog I always label them "insipid"). It was one of those annoying ones where you're given a bunch of personality traits and you have to rank them according to how well they describe you. Then you add up your score to find out what "color" you are - Orange, Gold, Blue, or Green. I tied for both Blue and Green.

Blues are Idealists. Greens are Rational. I'm rational AND an idealist? Isn't a rational idealist kind of an oxymoron? It seems completely illogical, and the fact that I started thinking about the logic of the situation is why I picked Green when we split up into our colors.

But you know, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I don't sit around and think about my own personality traits all that often, which I guess isn't a bad thing. However, I realized today that I am...what? Confusing? Complex? Insane? I'm a whole lot of different things. I love reading. I like knowing things, having facts, getting answers to my questions. I may do spontaneous things, but deep inside my head I'm pretty rational (irrational fears aside). I have a pretty realistic view of life. I appreciate romantic gestures but would never expect a real person to be Prince Charming. All of those things are Green characteristics. On the other hand, I'm really shy and sensitive. I take everything personally, so my feelings are easily hurt. I love people but also need my alone time. I can't help but care about people and overflow with sympathy for them. I'm a really good listener. I like having a long, intimate conversation with just one other person. These are all Blue characteristics.

I guess it does make sense when you think about it. Maybe having so many contrasting personality traits inside my one person is what makes me so quirky and memorable. Another thing I've noticed is that people who get to know me well don't really forget me. I don't let that many people get really close to me, but I seem to leave a subconscious impression on those who do. Random people always contact me from forever-long ago. Ex-boyfriends randomly Facebook IM me for no reason. It's pretty weird, actually. Maybe it's because I'm also uncommonly good at remembering people. I'm not bragging or anything, because honestly I don't think that any of this is brag-worthy. I'm just wondering what it is about me that makes people remember. Unless anyone can offer better insight, I'll just chock it up to being my own special brand of crazy. :-P

Well. I guess I got more out of that insipid ice-breaker than I thought. Hmm.

Pop-Tarts this school year: 2
Subscribers: 1,135

1 comment:

  1. i think all of us go through this moment of discovery... where we try to sit down and analyze ourselves to see who we really are. we come to the conclusion that we are more than one person and that there is something about ourselves that shines above all! this feels kind of like the time we all sat down and thought "what house am i in?" we all have slytherin, gryffindor, hufflepuff, and ravenclaw characteristics, but there is one that sticks out the most. anyways! i just wanted to say that i really connected with this post. i really understand where youre coming from.

    ps. sga is great! i miss those good old days. hahah its a good thing i got a blog.. i write too much in other peoples blogs.

    -maribel

    ReplyDelete